Thursday, May 7, 2009

North Platte

It has been a while since my last post. The reason: I took a trip to North Platte, Nebraska. Some of you may be wondering why North Platte. To that I reply, why not North Platte. For in that town is the Union Pacific Bailey Yard—the largest railroad yard in the world. Bailey Yard includes 315 miles of tracks (covering 2,850 acres), which can be viewed from the observation deck of the eight-story Golden Spike Tower.

North Platte is also where you will find the Buffalo Bill Ranch. There you can visit the elegant Victorian house where Buffalo Bill Cody once lived. (No, that is NOT the guy in The Silence of the Lambs)

There are many other attractions in North Platte. One of my favorite spots was Cody Park, where I took this picture. Cody Park is a magical place where the donkey and the peacock put aside their ancient hatred for each other and live side by side in peace. If only the world would follow the example set by these noble creatures.

Finally, it was in North Platte last week that I completed a one-page outline for my next novel.

It’s a start.

No comments:

Post a Comment